This Was Brainerd – April 22

2 months ago
31 Views

A preliminary autopsy report concludes that the body found near Crookston was indeed Dru Sjodin, and that she was murdered. A visitation is set at Crosslake Lutheran Church from 4 to 8 p.m. April 23. Seating capacity for the funeral at Grand View Lodge on April 24 has been increased to 1,000.

To maintain the quality of housing in the city of Brainerd, the city council is considering a housing maintenance code. The code would provide for licensing of rental housing, and an owner-occupied inspection at point of sale to ensure there are no health or safety issues.

(Photo) He claims he’s done everything rich people, GI”s and fools get to do. But right now he’s attending Brainerd Community College. He’s president of the freshman class and he’s 55-years-old. David Carpenter got out of high school in 1947 and joined the Air Force, serving 25 years.

The Minnesota Twins have had great luck finding long-ball hitters like Killebrew, Allison and now Tony Oliva. They hope for the same from Jerry Lyscio, the Brainerd high school grad, though they originally drafted him as a pitcher. The Twins say he looked good hitting in Florida and has been assigned to Wisconsin Rapids as an outfielder.

Mayor Frank Johnson made a personal appeal as Brainerd and Crow Wing county prepared to stage the largest paper and tin can pickup in this area since the start of the war. Johnson said cooperation is vital as a fleet of 20 trucks make house-to-house pickups in the city, and at assigned drop-off depots in rural areas.

The 1924 paving program was taken up at the city council meeting last night, and bids were ordered on a program that will add about one mile of pavement, provided prices are in line. The Chamber of Commerce proposed that the athletic grounds south of “the fill” should be fenced and a grandstand erected.

/ First shipment of iron ore on the Cuyuna Range from the Kennedy Mine. / People in the Northern Pacific Railroad depot waiting area, circa 1910. Source: ‘Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area’, Published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994. / Chicago Tavern on Gilbert Lake circa 1938-1943. Dancing and food. Al LaBarre was the owner. Source: ‘Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area’ published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994. / State Champion was this Brainerd amateur baseball team of 1894, which later saw two of those players advance to the major leagues. Pictured here are (front row) Frary, catcher; Phyle, rf-pit.; Howe, pit., rf; C. McCarthy, 1st; (middle row) Burgum, shortstop, W.P. Buckley, manager; Hill; 3rd; (back row) W. McCarthy, cf; Blandy, lf; Warner, 2nd. Source: ‘Brainerd Minnesota 1871 – 1971’. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1971. / W.E. Lively, the hustling Maxwell auto dealer, has sold a Maxwell to Joseph Johnson. Pictured is a Maxwell Mascotte Touring 1911 by Lars-Göran Lindgren Sweden – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1526033 / This truck belonged to Silas Hall’s Transfer Line just after World War I. It was used for hauling freight from the NP (Northern Pacific Railroad) depot to stores around town as well as for other kinds of moving. The picture was taken in front of the railroad freight office. Before the truck, Silas Hal used teams of horses and wagons which he kept at 415 Main (now Washington Street). Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 – 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch. / The 1916 Brainerd police force, pictured here, included the following men: The plain clothes men at either end were Jack Brandt (left) and Ted Nesheim; (front row, left to right) Charles Varner, chief, and Tom Templeton. (Rear, left to right) Erick Graff, Hans Saude and August Swanson. Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 – 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch. / This building at Seventh and Laurel, still a well-known landmark in Brainerd, was the home of the Citizen’s State Bank, from 1909 to 1927, when the bank then moved to quarters across the street. This picture was taken in 1913. Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 – 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch. / The “fill” grounds skating rink, located near Franklin Junior High School, winter of 1938-39. Source: ‘Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area’, Published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994. / 60 years ago (1959) (Photo) Robert Dobson, 15, is interested in how long he can keep a kite aloft. He launched a kite at 3 p.m. yesterday near the court house and it’s still flying despite a near disaster when a truck caught the kite string. The weatherman says it will remain windy today. Photo illustration, Metro Creative Graphics, Inc.…Read more by Terry McCollough

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

IJNN

FREE
VIEW